5.28.2008

Eating More Bananas


So I spent the night in the hospital on Sunday.

I had hypokalemia.

I'm not going to tell Dr. Matt what that means, since he should already know. But for the rest of you that means I had a serious potassium deficiency.

Late on Sunday night my heart felt weird, like it was slowing down. I had the feeling that I was going to die unless I got to the hospital. Ryan drove me (and two sleepy kids) to the hospital around eleven p.m. They rushed me right into triage. I answered a couple questions but soon my body started convulsing and I couldn't speak. I peed on a couple nurses while I was convulsing, but I really wasn't aware. They put me on an IV and a bladder-thingy (what are those called again??). When they hooked me up to monitors my heartrate was at 160. For the next hour I continued in stiff convulsions, until the postassium drip had coursed its way through my body and my muscles relaxed.

It sucked.

The worst was the feeling. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE. I never want to feel that feeling again.

This whole thing was started by a stupid water pill for acne that my dermo gave me. It stripped the potassium out of my body until my body could no longer take it.

And it revolted. And did I mention how much it sucked?

4 comments:

Natalie said...

What?! You never told me about that! Is this for real?

Stef said...

it's is def for realsies. ask ryan.

Reggs said...

I always suspected that bananas were giving me zits. Dang bananas.
Glad to hear you're doing better!

Katie said...

Eegads! That's crazy. I hope you feel better.