1.26.2011

Rant #2: Salt Whore




There is a phenomenon going on of late and it has to do with salt.

It's sneaky. Insidious even. It starts innocently enough, with a comment here or there, like: "I don't add salt to my cookie dough."

Next comes the people who pick up a package of Cheez-Its at Kroger's and who scan the nutrition stats wondering, "But what is the sodium content of these? It can't be good!"

Finally you're approached by random strangers in HomeGoods while you're in front of the salt mills and pepper grinders with this declarative gem: "I use WAY more pepper to season my food than salt." And then she casts a look of disgust at the white crystals.

There is a large faction of folks nowaday who seem to think they're God's gift to the world because THEY DON'T LIKE/USE SALT. What, do you want a trophy? Because if a trophy will make you feel better about how much greater of a person you are than me because you don't use salt, then it's in the mail. I'll even have it inscribed "Sodium free since '93."

I've got news for you salt curmudgeons: 1) salt is a necessary component of our body's electrolytic makeup; and 2) unless you are suffering from a health condition, salt doesn't hurt you. Nope. Try cutting out the fatty foods and leaving the salt in, and I guarantee you're on a better path to health.

I'm a salt whore for sure. That doesn't mean I have to salt everything. But it DOES mean that I forego the constant sodium checks and updates to friends and family about how salt is bad.

Tell you what: you become perfect, then come preach to me about the dangers of salt.

End of rant.

2 comments:

shayne said...

P.S. I finished books 2 AND 3. Three was way too short and should have been way dramatic at the end. But I am happy with the ending....

Natalie said...

Ummmm... can I just say I LOVE YOU?!?! I was JUST reading where somebody was saying they never use salt in baking (maybe you were blog hopping??) and I was like- no wonder your stuff doesn't turn out! Salt is necessary in baking. I'm pretty sure the 1/2 tsp the recipe calls for isn't gonna stop your heart. Hahaha! How funny you are, cuz I was thinking the EXACT same thing! And your "Sodium free since '93" was pure genius. GENIUS.