Last night Ryan and I went on our first legitimate date in, oh, 7 months. First we went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant called Bellini's; then we made our way to the piano bar.
This is a really cool concept. They had two pianos on stage and four piano players that would rotate and relieve each other every hour. The whole show is based on requests. You bring up a tip and a song request. They will play your song based on two things: 1) if they know it or not; and 2) if the tip is big enough. They would only do Piano Man, Don't Stop Believing, and Sweet Caroline for twenty bucks a pop. Most songs were just a dollar or two. To get your song played fast a fiver would do it.
At first I was really disappointed, because I requested Total Eclipse of the Heart and Nothing Compares To You (Sinead O'Connor) and they didn't know either of them? What?! How can you not know TEOTH? It's like, classic. But about an hour later, the piano man decided to give it a go (he had looked it up on his iPhone). He apologized and said it was going to be terrible (he was right!) Actually, the verses were fabulous but he had the chords for the chorus all wrong! But never you mind, I loved it!!
So if you come visit us in Lexington and you want some fabulous (though sometimes ribald) entertainment, we'll take you to the piano bar.





No comments:
Post a Comment