So hopefully you all (you, being my relations--sorry friends!) have gotten an invitation via facebook to our Escalante '09 Farewell Tour. (I sent the invites via facebook so as to keep the info private.)
Just wanted to let you know some of the awesome food we'll be having:
Ziploc omelettes
Orange Cup Cinnamon Rolls
Dump cake (no, keep your dirty minds away!)
Banana Boats
Hobo Dinners
Camp Pizza
Mexican Surprise and more!
And now onto another subject regarding food: tasting menus!
Some restaurants, usually nicer ones, offer a tasting menu as an option for dinner. If you order a tasting menu, you pay for a 5 to 7 course meal that is of the Chef's choosing. I recently had the opportunity to try the tasting menu at Scaldoni's, a five star Italian fusion restaurant here in St. George.
I chose the 5 course option and was at the mercy of the chef. Here's how the evening played out:
Course 1: Handmade lobster ravioli covered in basil foam. Now, I have to admit that it was kinda nasty. Ry loved it. I was not too keen on the foamy stuff that looked like a bird took a crap on my ravioli. Plus, I'm going to have to admit it here, I'm not a lobster fan. Crab, yeah, but lobster--blecchh!
Course 2: Lurved it! A chianti soaked pear covered in a super yummy melted cheese. It came with candied walnuts and caramel covered endives. This was one of the most amazing salads I've ever had. I'm craving it as I write.
Course 3: Pine-nut encrusted sea bass atop a foie gras and mushroom sauce. Okay. Let's talk about sea-bass. Who doesn't love a good sea-bass? Well, I have to say I thought it was underdone, and I'm not sure what foie gras is but I think it has something to do with duck so my tastebuds were naturally suspicious of this course. Good overall, but iffy.
Course 4: My fave! The petite filet mignon with fingerling potatoes and the most AMAZING au jus sauce for dipping it. I let Ryan have some of mine and we were freaking out at how good it was. Mmmmmmm . . .
Course 5: Dessert. This was a pretty ho-hum chocolate mousse atop a raspberry coulis, which is just a fancy way of saying sauce.
All in all it was way fun to do the tasting menu. I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance. Now it's your turn. Have you had anything yummy lately that you would recommend?
2 days ago





6 comments:
I totally want to come just to try out the dump cake!!
I'm more interested in the "Mexican Surprise" Just what, exactly, is the surprise??
let's just leave the surprise up to your imagination . . .
Isn't foie gras duck liver? It's been a long time since I took French class. I really like Olive Garden's Tortelloni with grilled steak but they changed their menu and now it has red sauce instead of the yummy white sauce. A really great place in Fort Collins is Carrabas Italian Grill on Harmony Rd. It's the best Italian restaurant I've been to so far. Alas, Cheyenne doesn't have the best restaurants but the Olive Garden here is okay.
duck liver? now I know for sure my sea bass was suspect! i wish we had a carrabas here but, like cheyenne, the olive garden is pretty much tops. which is good, since i love the eggplant parmigiana there.
What makes it a farewell tour? I hope we will get to come! But I'm not sure it will work out though. We are going to be having a very crazy summer. We'll try and swing it though.
That menu sounds... interesting. I would never have the guts to do that, because there are too many things I can't get down. Like seafood, for instance. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!
Post a Comment