3.24.2009

A Little Controversy Goes A Long Way . . . Like to Colorado!

So I meant to tell everyone how much I enjoyed your comments on my controversial Big Love blog. Though we all have different paradigms, I quite enjoy hearing them all. I have now been inspired to write about more controversial issues in the future :), and I hope you'll keep up your fabulous comments. (Yes, even you too Ray! You know how i luuurrrvv the attention!!!)

Until I can think up another subject to debate, however, I want to post something I have neglected to post for a couple weeks now.

Two weeks ago Ethan, Maddie, and I drove up to Provo for the State Gymnastics Finals. This is the most important meet of the year. This determines who goes to the Regionals, which determines who goes to the Junior Olympics, which determines who goes to the OLYMPICS.

Ethan is a 1st year level five. You can be a level five for 4 years, so he is a novice compared to some of the boys he was competing against. We went into the State Finals knowing that he had to get a score of 76 or above to go to regionals, which are in Colorado Springs. The closest he has gotten so far in the season was a 71.

Ethan was determined to make it. That means he had to improve each of his routines by almost a point. I felt this was impossible, but to support Ethan I said, "If you make regionals I'll give you $200 to spend on whatever you want."

A totally outlandish figure for what I thought would be impossible. But Ethan is goal-driven and reward-motivated, so he put he all into the finals.

And came out with a 76.8. He also scored 2nd in state on his floor routine.

My amazing Ethan is now going to Regionals in Colorado. He has worked hard--9.5 hours every week of practice--and now is reaping the rewards.

By the way, he bought Guitar Hero for the Wii, a soccer ball, and a Rip-stick with his earnings.

4 comments:

InWeighOverMyHead said...

Good job little guy!

Katie said...

Hurray for Ethan! You should probably warn him that the next time we see him, I'm gonna ask him to do a bunch of flips for me. Or that floor routine at least. :)

luckyduck said...

Go Ethan! When's the competition in Colorado Springs??

Reggs said...

SWEET! Good job, Ethan. I would totally claim those awesome genes, Steph.