11.11.2008

Think Pink?

In an effort to boost everyone's spirits at this gloomy juncture, I offer the following analysis.

We as humans tend to have limitless imaginations. It's quite common for us to say, "If X happens, than all hell Y will break loose and we'll become communists" and whatever extreme thing we can think of in that moment.

If we were living in Iraq, that might ring true. Depending on the person who gets elected over there, and depending on how you might have offended this person in the past, your whole family may indeed die the next day.

Luckily, we're a little more stable over here. I doubt your family will die when Obama takes office. But from the way we're reacting, you'd think it was the case.

Gun sales have tripled following Obama's win. My friend's grandfather has promised to start sleeping with a loaded pistol under his pillow.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't feel quite that scared. I can understand why people do--after all, who the heck knows what Obama is even about? But history, at least U.S. history, has borne out that our worst fears usually don't materialize, not even close.

I voted McCain. I was disappointed that he didn't win. But I know that in four years, I'll get to vote again.

Until then, peace out my pinko commie friends.

No comments: