7.12.2009

Lest I Forget

So Thursday was pretty much one of the worst days I've had in a LOOOOONNG time!

It started innocently enough. Let me describe the recipe for the disaster:

Take one mom who thinks her son can be the next Phil Mickelson.

Add a Championship golf tournament which her son absolutely blows away the competition on the first round.

Shake in a little boy (son's opponent) who, by the rules, should not even be in the tournament, but has lost to Ethan by a dozen strokes previously.


Toss both into a 2nd round pressure cooker tourney with outside temps well over 100 degrees.

Ethan lost to the little boy.

The upset made big mama upset.

Now add in threats of legal action, mom leaving work stressed out, and crying for the rest of the day because her son didn't win.

You now have the product of a good day gone horribly wrong.

And it's a day I never want to repeat. Looking back, I see several mistakes I made:

1. I had too much emotion riding on this tourney. It's a bunch of little boys playing golf, for crying out loud!

2. My philosophy of winning became the philosophy of winning at ridiculous costs.

3. I thought only of the bad in the situation and not the good.

Confession: I think deep down I was even irritated at poor little Ethan for not beating the pants of a kid he has beaten every single time before.

Big mama has big problems.

So now big mama is changing her tune.

1. She will invest Ethan's tourney's with the right amount of emotion, not too much and not too little.

2. She will not hate little boys that beat her son! :)

3. She will take her drugs, swear off all legal threatenings, and find a hobby to take off her nervous edge.

I'm turning over a new leaf.

No comments: